Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than by making life easier for busy moms?
Moms have a tough time managing homes. And it gets extra hard when you have small kids who run around the house. Keeping them away from the rough edges of your furniture is a task in itself. And not to forget the constant job of maintaining upholstery that is easily damaged when kids choose to jump, paint or just scribble on seating!
Living with kids also means you need to make more room for storage so that everything is stored safely. With all this in mind, your home’s interiors need to be more functional to make life easier for busy mothers. So, here are some excellent interior design hacks shared by our designers that will not only save time but also add a touch of style to your home.
From smart storage solutions to easy-to-maintain decor, these hacks are specially designed for working and new moms to help create an ergonomic yet beautiful home without much effort. This Mother’s Day, take a moment to appreciate all that you do as a busy mom, and enjoy the process of creating a home that will make your life easier. So, grab a cup of tea and get ready to transform your home with these innovative tips and tricks!
Mother’s Day Hack #1: A TV Unit With Hidden Storage
The living room is the most active area in any home. It is the place where your guests gather and family and friends hang out. Therefore, this part of the house needs to look neat and organised. DesignCafe’s designers suggest using smart modular furniture with lots of storage space, like this elegant TV unit. This sleek foldable TV unit in white and light wood laminates gives a Scandavanian look to your living space. The lift-up shutter storage cabinets are useful to stack things that should be handy for you but need to be away from your kid’s reach. We love that this TV unit is super easy to operate and takes up very less space. The open shelves on the top are a great spot to display decor items and travel souvenirs.
Pro Tip: While choosing your sofa or other furniture pieces for your living room, don’t forget to select one with smooth edges so your kid doesn’t get hurt while playing around in the living room.
Quick Living Room Interior Design Hacks For Busy Moms
- Choose easy-to-clean or washable wall paints so you don’t have to keep attending to your kid while they choose to colour the walls
- Go for stain-repellent furniture fabric for sofas
- Keep your vintage artefacts or other breakables on the upper shelves
- Use lockable TV units or place the TV at a considerable height
- Arrange the living room furniture in a way that your kid gets enough space to move around easily
- Select floor rugs that are easy to wash and avoid those that can get easily stained
Mother’s Day Hack #2: A Space-Saving Folding Dining Table
Don’t have space for a full-fledged dining table? Fret not, this foldable dining table with hidden crockery unit is here to save the day! It creates a stylish dining space for four in your living space and can be easily folded up when not in use. The table reveals a hidden storage space for displaying your expensive crockery sets and keeping everything you need for entertaining guests handy. The extra storage underneath allows you to store other knick-knacks and save on additional storage in the kitchen. For homes with little kids, a wooden table like this is ideal as it is more durable, unlike glass-top tables.
Quick Dining Room Interior Design Hacks For Busy Moms
- A dining table with curved edges will ensure it is kid-friendly
- Choose a dining table that is heavy and not easily tilted
- Go for heavy dining chairs that are difficult for kids to move around
- Cover dining tables with transparent table covers that will protect your furniture from spillage and stains
- Avoid using glass utensils until your kid grows up to an understandable age
Mother’s Day Hack #3: A Wardrobe With A Pull-Out Dressing Unit
For busy moms, getting the right kind of bedroom wardrobe is a crucial interior design decision. The interior design experts at DesignCafe recommend wardrobes with concealed dressing units over regular ones. Why, you ask? Because they help you make the most out of your limited floor space. Take this pull-out dressing unit, for example. It utilises the vertical space of the bedroom beautifully and remains hidden when not in use. It comes with a variety of storage compartments to help you keep everything assorted neatly. The mirror helps you get dolled up from the comfort of your bedroom. Have you seen a better and safer use of a wardrobe corner?
Quick Bedroom Interior Design Hacks For Busy Moms
- Keep things minimal in the bedroom so there’s enough floor space to move around
- Use a wardrobe with a variety of storage options to keep things organised
- Use simple wooden beds with easy-to-maintain headboards
- Utilise the vertical space of the room with floating shelves or wall-mounted cabinets
Mother’s Day Hack #4: A Modular Kitchen With Smart Storage Solutions
The kitchen is considered the heart of any home and an area moms are often quite possessive about. It is the place where family and friends gather to share food, conversations, and create memories. With such an essential role in daily life, it’s crucial to invest in a modular kitchen design that promises high functionality and efficiency. Modular kitchens allow for a high level of customization and maximize space utilization, making them ideal for busy moms wanting to keep the kitchen organised. We suggest opting for modern storage solutions like handleless cabinets, corner cabinet solutions, pantry unit, appliance garage, etc. A bi-fold shutter is a great solution to prevent any bumping or hurting, perfect for rushed mornings.
Quick Kitchen Interior Design Hacks For Busy Moms
- Follow an easy and accessible kitchen layout for free movement
- Integrate a kitchen island for extra space
- Select finishes that are easy to clean and maintain
- Add labels on spice bottles
- Use rolling kitchen carts for ease of movement and accessibility of items
Mother’s Day Hack #5: A Vibrant Kids’ Room With Lots Of Storage Space
Keeping a kids’ room clean and organised is no joke. To find a permanent fix for keeping your child’s room tidy, here’s a kid’s room design that helps avoid clutter. This colourful kids’ bedroom features a modular wardrobe with loft storage with a pull-out desk for studying. A cute storage bench with extra storage and wall-mounted shelves helps keep your kids’ things in an orderly manner. The outer corner space is a display area for toys and books. Instil the habit of keeping things in place in your kid from early on so they are able to make the most of their bedroom space. The best part here is the simple layout of the room which lets your kids move around conveniently and offers ample floor space to play.
Looking for innovative bed designs for your kid’s room? Check out our blog on Modern Kids Bed Design Ideas.
Quick Kids Room Interior Design Hacks For Busy Moms
- Invest in sleek furniture to ensure lots of free space
- Use foldable furniture to keep things under the cabinets
- Use kid-friendly tables and chairs
- Go with lively washable wall colours
Mother’s Day Hack #6: An Easy Breezy Balcony With A Touch Of Greenery
There’s nothing more soothing than enjoying a hot cup of coffee from your balcony while enjoying the surrounding scenery. But maintaining a balcony requires a lot of work and patience. And it can become a bit more challenging when you are a busy mom. But with a little bit of creativity, you can spruce up your outdoor space and add a natural touch to it. Firstly, choose plants that are easy to grow and maintain. Start with plants that need less maintenance like the snake plant, peace lily, aloe vera, cactus, etc. This will ensure you don’t have to worry about them every now and then. Secondly, choose hanging planters as they don’t take up too much floor space or leave stains. Add a folding table on the balcony grill to enjoy a quick meal with your spouse or play board games with your kid.
Quick Balcony Interior Design Hacks For Busy Moms
- Pick plants according to the space on your balcony, don’t overdo it
- Use waterproof furniture for balconies like wicker sets, wrought iron benches or even plastic
- Install proper safety railings on your balcony to make it safer for your child.
- Choose flooring tiles that are easy to maintain like terracotta or ceramic
As a busy working mom, it can be challenging to find the time and energy for finding the right home interior designs that suit your lifestyle. However, with these design hacks we’ve covered in this Mother’s Day blog, you can create a smart and functional home without sacrificing precious time with your family. These tips will help you transform your home into a cosy and inviting space that you and your family will love.
We wish you a Happy Mother’s Day from the entire DesignCafe family!
Explore, more about Mother’s Day Decoration Ideas