This Mother’s Day, make your place more efficient with these design hacks that are ideal for busy mothers.
Moms have a tough time managing homes. And it gets extra hard when you have small kids who run around the house. Keeping them away from the rough edges of your furniture is a task in itself. And not to forget, mothers have the constant job of maintaining upholstery that is easily damaged when kids decide to jump, paint or just scribble on seating. Living with kids also means you need to make more room for storage so that everything is stored safely.
With all this in mind, your home’s interiors need to be more functional to make life easier for busy mothers. After all, bulky designs and good-looking furniture with no function double the trouble for moms. So, this Mother’s Day, we compiled a list of interior design hacks for all the busy moms so you can live in a home with more manageable interiors. These are our designer-approved interior tips centred on the needs and requirements of moms, especially those that are working or new moms. Women who spend their day shuffling between office work, household chores, and baby demands need a home that makes life easy and comfortable.
6 Interior Design Hacks For Busy Moms
A Living Room TV Unit With Hidden Storage For Better Organisation
The living room is the most active area in any home. It is the place where your guests gather and family and friends hang out. Therefore, this part of the house needs to look neat and organised. The first step to kid proofing your living area and making things more convenient for you is to invest in modular furniture that is easy to maintain as well.
TV units cover the most space in living rooms, hence, investing in a functional TV unit is imperative. Design Cafe’s designers suggest using modular and multipurpose TV units with floating shelves and a lift-up folding shutter with hidden storage. The lift-up shutter storage cabinets will help stack things that need to be away from your kid’s reach but are easily accessible to you. These types of shutter cabinets are easy to use and take up less space. These hidden storage units let you compartmentalise your belongings and keep them concealed. You can also go for TV units with floating shelves that are placed high up on the wall to display knick-knacks.
Other interior design hacks busy moms can incorporate include keeping minimum furniture in the living area and opting for upholstery that is easy to maintain. If your kid loves scribbling on anything they get, try to avoid choosing delicate fabrics. Instead, go for plain and simple wooden sofa sets and avoid glass top centre tables.
Tip: While choosing your sofa or other furniture pieces for your living room, don’t forget to select factory finished furniture that comes with smooth edges so your kid doesn’t get hurt while running around the sofa.
Living Room Interiors Hacks For Busy Moms
- Choose easy to clean or washable wall paints so you don’t have to keep stopping your kid from colouring on the walls
- Go for stain-resistant furniture fabric for sofas
- Keep your vintage artefacts or other breakables on the upper shelves
- Use lockable TV units or place the TV at a considerable height
- Arrange the living room furniture in a way that your kid gets enough space to move around easily
- Select floor rugs that are easy to wash and avoid those that are soft or can get easily stained
- Distressed leather as a sofa material is more durable
A Dining Room With A Space-Saving Folding Dining Table
Dining rooms are a crockery haven. It’s the area of your home where you display your expensive crockery collection. Being a busy mom makes it all the more pivotal for you to find dining room designs that are efficient and easy to maintain. At Design Cafe, we root for functional and space-saving furniture designs. Investing in a space-saving folding dining table is a smart investment. Not only does it help save space in your dining area, but also features hidden storage which allows you to keep your crockery and knick knacks.
For homes with little kids, wooden tables are ideal as they are durable unlike glass top tables. Try to select round or oval dining table designs to avoid corners that may not be kid-friendly.
Most dining rooms also have crockery units or wine racks. The best way to have kid-friendly furniture is to go for floating crockery units and wall-mounted wine racks that are installed at a reasonable height away from the reach of your kids.
Dining Room Interiors Hacks For Busy Moms
- Choose dining tables that are heavy and not easily tilted
- Go for heavy dining chairs that are difficult for kids to play with
- Cover dining tables with transparent table covers that will protect your furniture from spillage and stains
- Avoid using glass utensils until your kid grows up to an understandable age
Bedroom Wardrobe With A Concealed Dressing Unit To Store Makeup Essentials
Almost every bedroom has a wardrobe. But for busy moms, getting the right kind of bedroom wardrobe is a crucial interior design decision. The interior experts at Design Cafe recommend going for wardrobes with concealed dressing units instead of the regular ones. This will allow you to keep your makeup essentials and accessories away from the reach of kids. The dressing unit, as shown in the picture, remains hidden when not in use. It has a variety of storage drawers and pull-out units to help you keep everything arranged neatly. You can use the dressing unit whenever needed and keep it under the cabinet locked when not in use. You can go for tall, wall-length wardrobes with loft storage that offer space-saving and organisation.
While choosing wardrobes with attached dressing units, make sure that the dressing section doesn’t have easily accessible shelves. If so, they can easily get messy. Wardrobes with His and Her separate organisation can also be a good investment as they will help you keep things neat. You can also choose wooden beds with storage for an organised and clutter-free bedroom, excellent for busy moms.
Bedroom Design Hacks For Moms
- Keep things minimal in the bedroom so there’s always enough space
- Use a variety of storage options to keep things organised
- Use simple wooden beds with easy to maintain headboards
- Utilise the room’s vertical space with floating shelves or wall-mounted cabinets
Modular Kitchen With Overhead Storage Cabinets To Store Utensils
Onto the essential part of a household — the kitchen. It is imperative for the kitchen to be functional, especially for busy moms. Therefore, the right way to design an efficient kitchen is to go for modular kitchen designs. Modular kitchens come with factory-finish cabinetry that provide maximum storage capacity. Also, modular kitchens can be customised and tailor-made to the mother’s needs.
Go for modern storage solutions like handleless cabinets, corner cabinet solutions, pantry units, appliance garage, and the like to keep everything neat and organised. If you have a small kid running around the house, you can try overhead modular kitchen cabinets for most of your storage needs. Go for factory-made, smooth-finish cabinets to avoid kitchen hazards. Overhead cabinets will come in handy to store expensive crockery or other fragile items. A bi-fold shutter is great as it prevents any bumping or hurting, perfect for rushed mornings.
The thumb rule is to utilise all the space in your kitchen, keep things compact and within cabinets. Also, pay attention to the materials and finishes you choose for kitchen countertops and cabinets. Select finishes that are easy to clean and maintain. A busy mom will have little time to spend in the kitchen. Hence, it’s important to create a functional and facilitating kitchen space.
Kitchen Design Hacks For Moms
- Keep your kitchen countertop clean and organised
- Follow an easy and accessible kitchen layout for free movement
- Label every spice bottle
- Integrate the kitchen island for extra space
- Use proper kitchen towels
- Use rolling kitchen carts for ease of movement and accessibility of items
A Bunk Bed And A Space-Saving Foldable Study Unit For The Kids’ Room
Mothers of young kids can end up spending a lot of their time cleaning and arranging their kid’s room. Hence, finding an efficient fix for your child’s room is a great way to avoid clutter and save time. The first thing you need is a simple layout to arrange the room as conveniently as you can. Next, you need to find the right kind of furniture. A kid’s room usually has a bed, a study table unit and a wardrobe. Go for beds with storage where you can stack up all the toys and barely used clothes. You can go for bunk beds with storage like the ones in the image — they take up less space and are a fun addition to your kid’s room. You can also go for Murphy beds or sofa-cum-bed to store things away or make more space for your kid to play around
Looking for innovative bed designs for your kid’s room? Check out our blog on Modern Kids Bed Design Ideas.
For kid’s room wardrobes, choose modular designs with enough storage options. Kids grow up quickly and their belongings will soon overburden your existing storage unit. You can also invest in foldable and space-saving study units to make your kid’s room more spacious and airy. Opt for wardrobes with attached study units or study desks with floating shelves where your kid can keep all their school essentials.
Design Hacks For A Kid’s Room
- Keep minimum furniture to make space for movement
- Use foldable furniture to keep things under the cabinets
- Use kid-friendly tables and chairs
- Go with lively washable wall colours
A Balcony Design With Modular Furnishings And Easy To Maintain Flooring
Maintaining a balcony requires a lot of patience. And it becomes a bit more difficult when you are a busy mom. With that in mind, here are a few tips for a low maintenance balcony.
- Pick plants according to the space in your balcony, don’t overdo it
- Use waterproof furniture for balconies like wicker sets, wrought iron benches or even plastic
- You can opt for folding balcony furniture or a movable swing to save space and keep things more organised
- Install proper railings in your balcony to make it safer for your child
- Choose flooring tiles that are easy to maintain, like terracotta or ceramic
- Ensure there is enough sunlight on the balcony and shelter it from direct rainfall
- In case there is no space for a full-fledged balcony use planters that can rest or hang on the balcony railing
- Balconies require regular maintenance and if you are a busy mom, start with plants that need less maintenance, like the snake plant, peace lily and aloe vera.
A mother’s time is mostly consumed with maintaining her house and this is not easy. And we believe in helping every mom by designing a home’s interiors with her needs in mind. We hope our design hacks help you make your place more convenient.
We hope you have a great Mother’s Day from our Design Cafe family to yours.
Explore, more about Mothers Day Decoration Ideas