Here’s our lowdown on acrylic cabinets and how they are slowly making their way into the Indian kitchens!
Ever since the idea of having a modular kitchen became popular in India wood and glass have been the most preferred choice of material for homeowners for their kitchen cabinetry. However, with advancements in technology, a plethora of chic and long-lasting materials and finishes like commercial plywood sheets, MDF, laminate, and acrylic topped the interior design charts in the market. Among the various finishes, acrylic kitchen cabinets have become quite popular, mainly due to its glossy surface, durability, and cost. This material also makes cabinets look expensive and sleek.
If your kitchen looks dull with the traditional cabinetry, you can brighten it up and give it a much-needed makeover by merely adding acrylic kitchen cabinets. Due to its glossy finish, it mirrors a mirror and makes your space look more open, lively and attractive for the years.
What Are Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets?
Acrylic is an artificial plastic that is commonly used to give a glossy finish to modern kitchen cabinets. They offer a scratch-resistant lustrous finish to the cabinet surfaces and make a chic statement. Acrylic kitchen cabinet doors are either made out of hardwood or MDF board and then protected with a cover of acrylic sheets in the preferred colour and pattern to get the desired finish.
What Are The Types And Price Of Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets?
Acrylic kitchen cabinets can be categorised in mainly two types –those with solid acrylic doors and cabinets with acrylic finished doors. Cabinets with solid acrylic doors usually are priced slightly higher as they are made entirely of acrylic. This means such doors have an even colour display that makes them look vibrant. Cabinets with acrylic finished doors are budget-friendly or economic. The process of using this acrylic finish to kitchen cabinet doors is a complex one where acrylic sheets are pasted on an MDF board as the base material.
Advantages Of Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets
- Unlike conventional plywood shutters that crack and peel off acrylic is resistant to everyday damage
- Acrylic is further resistant to UV, therefore, it is ideal for the climate in India
- Acrylic kitchen cabinet colours do not lose its charm under the hard sunlight
- As acrylic is are moisture-resistant, it’s extremely easy to clean stains, and food spatters by wiping the surface with water and soap
- Acrylic kitchen cabinets are waterproof that limits the requirement for specialised treatments and covering it with sealants
Disadvantages Of Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets
- Because of its glossy finish, the tiniest defects such as stains, fingerprints and scratches, are easily visible on the surface, particularly on the darker shades
- It requires regular cleaning and maintenance to preserve the mirror-like shine
- Acrylic kitchen cabinets are slightly more pricey than the budget-friendly finishes like laminates
- Variations in shades is a huge possibility when parts of the cabinets require a change after a certain period of use.
Acrylic Kitchen Cabinet Price Range
Acrylic works great for kitchen cabinets that are designed on flat surfaces as they add a glossy finish that is ideal for modern uber-stylish modular kitchen designs. Suppose you are worried about the possibility of visible stains on high gloss acrylic cabinets. In that case, designers recommend the use of matte and semi-gloss finish on acrylic kitchen cabinets below the counter that is base cabinets and high gloss finish on the overhead cabinets or commonly known as cupboards above the kitchen countertop.
Acrylic finish cabinets maintain the colour and gloss for a long time. Acrylic kitchen laminates are readily available in several textures and a wide range of colour shades and finishes like a glossy, matte and ultra-high gloss. Depending on the kind of finish and look you require, acrylic cabinets roughly range from Rs. 800 per sqft to Rs.1600 per sq.ft and more depending on the level of gloss. For applying a glossy finish for the entire kitchen cabinets, the price can vary from Rs. 2 lakhs and more.
Tips For Maintaining Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets
- Wipe off oil spills, cooking elements and food spills immediately, with a soft cloth, in order to avoid any damage to the cabinet finish and to prevent blemish.
- Clean stains and scratches using a soft cloth soaked in mild detergent and then wash off the soapy water using a clean cloth, before allowing it to dry.
- Avoid hanging damp or wet clothes or hand towels on the acrylic cabinets to dry as the water and moisture will damage the kitchen finish.
- Avoid wiping the glossy acrylic kitchen cabinet surface with a dry cloth and cloth soaked in harsh cleaners and detergents.
- Do not use paper towels, synthetic scourers, dry brushes and tools to clean the acrylic kitchen cabinets as it can easily scratch the kitchen cabinet surface.
And that’s all for today! We hope these inputs help you make an informed decision!