Make some innovative and strategic interior design moves in terms of layout, furniture placement, choice of colours and textures, etc. to turn your small apartment into a more cosy and welcoming space
To begin with, many Indian homeowners often confuse a 1 BHK apartment and a studio apartment and tend to use them interchangeably. However, there is a thin line of difference that exists between them. A 1 BHK apartment provides you with a single bedroom, hall area, bathroom and kitchen, but each of these spaces acts as separate units demarcated by walls. On the other hand, a studio apartment is a ‘self-contained’ unit with a single large room that serves as a combined bedroom, dining room, living room and kitchen.
Studio apartments are trendy worldwide and especially in very high demand in India. It is a flexible and practical alternative for tenants and prospective homebuyers who don’t want a larger space but want to be at the heart of a central destination. It is important to note here that the price of a studio apartment will also differ based on its demand, location, developer brand, connectivity and other factors.
A studio apartment is compact, space-efficient and highly affordable for people staying alone or single working professionals. Plus, they require low maintenance and generate lower electricity bills. However, going by the theory of ‘every coin has two sides’, studio apartments also have disadvantages. The space is limited and has no specific demarcations, which negatively impacts your privacy when guests come over. Also, they require additional storage space, which forces you to think of multifunctional and space-saving solutions, and they are clearly not suited for bigger families.
What Are The Tips and Tricks to Maximize The Space Of Your Small Apartment And Make It Cosy At The Same Time?
MAXIMISE THE SPACE BY:
- Using a light colour palette (beige, whites) to give your apartment more depth and make it appear visually larger.
- Using tall drapes instead of mini sheer curtains to give you an illusion of more vertical space in the apartment.
- Using the concept of ‘levels’ in your small apartment to make it feel airy, less cluttered and more organised.
- Using multifunctional and closed storage solutions to accommodate more types of items in one single space.
- Using folding furniture and couches, coffee tables, box beds and ottomans that can double up as storage space.
- Using rugs/carpets to define and demarcate each specific area/zone in the room.
- Lining one of your walls with a large mirror to reflect the light around the home and make it feel more spacious.
- Clearing the floor space by using floating nightstands and shelves to avoid accidental falls, etc.
- Using wall lights and sconces as lighting fixtures instead of floor lamps.
MAKE THE SPACE COSY BY:
- Using a glass/wooden screen or partition curtains to segregate different spaces without feeling claustrophobic.
- Using sliding doors for a perfect balance of privacy and elegance, and the right amount of natural sunlight.
- Using flush mount lights or pendant lights for a bright and cosy atmosphere in your living space.
- Avoiding the habit of keeping less or no space between various furniture pieces. Let your home breathe freely.
- Using a warm colour palette and a brightly coloured rug that is large enough to fit almost all your furniture on it.
- Using decor pieces/cushions that help keep the apartment’s theme cohesive. Play around with textures too.
- Using fewer statement pieces with regular-sized furniture to draw the viewer’s eye. Play with the concept of ‘scale’.
- Using a ceiling-high bookshelf that also serves as a partition wall whenever you need it for your privacy.
- Using furniture pieces that help you make the most optimum use of corner spaces like corner couches, side tables.
Now, let’s check out the most inspiring cosy small apartment ideas doing the rounds. We’re sure you’ll love them all.
Small Cosy Apartment Bedroom And Living Room
This small cosy apartment comprises a combined bedroom and living area enveloped within the light grey and white interiors. The lift-up bed has built-in space for storing your clothing essentials and other related stuff. Two bedside tables with drawers lie on either side of the bed accompanied by two night lights which make it easier for you to read at night. The two-seater couch can also double up as an extra sleeping space.
Small Cosy Apartment Bedroom And Study Area
This small cosy apartment space features a bedroom and study area combo which uses only three colours (white, light grey and brown) to get a textured and incredibly rich design outcome, and also makes the area feel more spacious and airy. The balanced artwork, the long ceiling pendant lights, the green potted plant and a wall shelving area in the study corner blend together seamlessly without seeming too busy.
Small Cosy Apartment Dining Area And Kitchen
This small cosy apartment features a mini kitchen, dining space and living room in an open-plan layout. The glass partition forms a visual barrier between the kitchen and the living room while the dining table set helps you demarcate the zones without even seeming like it. The large window gives you an illusion of more vertical space in the home.
Small Cosy Apartment Living Room
This is a small and cosy apartment living room that features natural wood flooring, white and light grey-themed furniture. The whole living space has been demarcated into various sections where each section has been used in the most efficient manner. The wall shelving runs along the wall on the side, while the floor lamp serves as a task light for the living area when you need it. The window seat area/nook is perfect for sipping a hot cup of coffee/reading a book during pleasant weather.
Small Cosy Apartment With Loft Bed And Storage Space Under Staircase
This small cosy loft apartment follows a completely white theme which makes the area look breezy and light. The vertical space has been smartly used here, wherein the loft bed is accommodated on a higher level than the floor. The space beneath the staircase leading up to your bedroom has been efficiently used to fit in your mini kitchen and built-in storage solutions. On the other side, the rattan chairs and the dining table lend some colour and warmth to this serene space.
We hope these cosy small studio apartment ideas have inspired you to undertake the much-needed transformation of your home. Because even with a shortage of square footage, the possibilities of designing a small space are limitless. So, let your imagination run wild and see how your apartment design project turns out.
If you want expert guidance on the same, then reach out to us at Design Cafe, and we’d be happy to serve you!
If you enjoyed reading about cozy small apartment ideas, also have a look at minimalistic apartment design ideas