A bedroom is an oasis of tranquillity and relaxation, so what’s better than using neutral bedroom paint colours to enhance the design aesthetics and mood of the space.
When you’re deciding to change the colour palette of your bedroom, you might often assume that neutral colours might look unexciting, unimaginative and lifeless. But in reality, they are quite the opposite provided if they are used correctly.
Let’s have a look at some benefits of using neutral colours for your bedroom:
- They act like a blank canvas/perfect base over which you can play around with slightly brighter accent colours either through decor, flooring, textures, furniture, etc
- They are versatile as you can simply replace the accessories, furniture, textures and layers to align the vibe/mood of your bedroom with your changing style preferences
- They help create a stunning focal point(s) in your bedroom as they allow brighter colours to pop out more against them, thus allowing you to show off your design choices
- They are inherently flexible and give you complete design freedom as you can revamp your bedroom’s look without completely repainting it, thus saving you money, time and effort in the future
- They have the potential to increase the ‘resale value’ of your home as they highlight finer home details (wainscoting/crown moulding) to potential homebuyers, unlike brighter colours which might distract them.
- They complement any and all of the colours in the colour wheel, thereby allowing easy customisation and creative experimentation
- They give your bedroom a more open, refined and sophisticated look that reflects extreme attention to detail, beautiful curves and lines. It also provides a spotlight for other design elements in the space
- They introduce a much-needed cohesive and calming vibe into the bedroom instead of an energetic and bold one, thereby positively influencing the ambience of the space
- They are classic, timeless and can be considered as an evergreen investment for your home as it never grows old and helps you avoid buyers’ remorse
Neutral colours are also divided into three categories (based on their undertones on the grey to white base colour spectrum):
- Bright/Cool Neutrals → gives your bedroom an open and airier environment → white, yellow, green, peach
- Muted Neutrals → gives your bedroom a streamlined and simple appearance → off-white, tan, beige, cream
- Dark/Warm Neutrals → gives your bedroom a cosy and homely vibe → grey, gold, taupe, brown, orange, red
Tips to keep in mind to choose the perfect neutral colour for your bedroom:
- You can also use neutral colours in two ways – going all-neutral (different shades/tones of the same neutral colour) OR using a neutral colour as the base/canvas and highlighting brighter colours against it).
- If you choose darker neutrals for your bedroom then balance it off with a good amount of artificial/natural lighting so that it doesn’t become too overwhelming or claustrophobic.
- If your bedroom gets limited exposure to natural sunlight or is small in size then use paler or cooler neutral tones to brighten up the space.
- If your bedroom gets plenty of natural sunlight or is big in size then go for any neutral colour category.
- Try to keep the ceiling of your bedroom a tone lighter than the original neutral paint colour or even white to visually increase the vertical space of your bedroom.
It is time to dive into our amazing collection of the best neutral colours for your bedroom. Skim through them and take your best pick!
Neutral Colour Bedroom Idea #1
This bedroom features a beige and white wall colour palette which acts as a perfect backdrop for the wooden elements in the room such as the door and the furniture. The large mirrors on both sides of the bed reflect the natural sunlight and make the space look larger, calmer and brighter.
Neutral Colour Bedroom Idea #2
The neutral-coloured floral accent wallpaper, the navy blue curtains and the beige floor rug provide some texture to this white-walled bedroom. Also, the brightly-coloured cushions, potted green indoor plant and wall frames add a pop of bright colour to the space. The creative colour combinations make the bedroom look sleek and elegant.
Neutral Colour Bedroom Idea #3
This neutral bedroom features a largely white, light grey and cream colour theme through its walls, bedding and flooring. The blackish-grey curtains and the indoor plants incorporate personality and visual interest into the room without overpowering any of its elements and also looks more peaceful and balanced.
Neutral Colour Bedroom Idea #4
This bedroom is the perfect representation of a neutral colour scheme with different kinds of textures and tones coming together to create a cohesive and elevated look. The soft linens on the low bed frame and the lighting lend a cool and pleasant vibe to the space. The photo frames contrast well against the light grey accent wall.
Neutral Colour Bedroom Idea #5
White is one of the best neutral light paint colours for the bedroom. The wooden accent wall and flooring along with the green rug, bed linen and upholstered furniture mimic nature’s elements and bring much-needed freshness into the space. The large artwork on the sidewall also ties the whole look of the bedroom together.
All in all, neutral colour bedrooms are anything but boring. In fact, neutral bedroom wall colours are very versatile as you can work around them to change the overall look of your space as and when your style changes. So, choose neutral colours the next time you repaint your bedroom and experience its calming effects.
Do you fancy any of the neutral colour bedroom ideas above or have something more to add/share? Let us know in the comment box below as we’re eager to hear from you. Do visit DesignCafe for more such informative home interior blogs and guides, and book your free virtual consultation now.
If you enjoyed reading about these neutral colour bedroom ideas, Also read about these Vastu colours for Bedroom!