Kitchen island countertop can make or break the look of your kitchen decor. So think wisely and choose the best!
Kitchen islands are one of the most versatile additions to your kitchen. Not only are they multifunctional and save space but islands tend to become the most happening place in the kitchen. Here you can cook your meals, attend your work calls while making yourself a cup of tea, keep an eye on your kids while preparing meals, unwind with some soothing music and a glass of wine while gazing at the setting sun or enjoy your quick solitary supper.
Kitchen islands are positioned at the centre of your kitchen and become your kitchen decor’s primary focal point. Thus choosing the perfect material and finish for the countertop of your kitchen island that complements your entire decor is crucial. There are a variety of options available in the market from marble, steel, quartz and concrete kitchen island countertop. However, choosing the best option that suits your budget and requirement can be difficult. So, here we have detailed information about most popular kitchen countertops to help you make an informed decision.
And before we dig deep into the pros and cons, here are some important points to remember before choosing the perfect kitchen island countertop for your kitchen:
- The size of your countertop must leave enough space for free flow of movement
- The material used should be durable, easy to clean and maintain
- The choice of countertop also depends on whether you will use it as a breakfast counter, bar unit or want to install a stove and sink on it
- The kitchen island countertop must align with your sink, stove, and refrigerator to form the work triangle for an efficient culinary experience
- Do you want the colour to match with your kitchen cabinets or do you like the idea of a contrasting kitchen island countertop
Here is a list of kitchen island countertops ideas that will suit your taste while adding value to your home decor.
You Can Never Go Wrong With Kitchen Island Wood Countertop
If your focus is to improve your kitchen’s efficiency while adding a stylish edge to the decor of your home, a wood countertop for your kitchen island is a smart choice. The butcher block countertop transforms your kitchen island into a sturdy and stable work surface while adding warmth and earthiness to your kitchen’s interior design. You can use it as a cutting board, tabletop, or multifunctional counter.
- Lends warmth to your space
- Excellent for rustic kitchen interiors
- Sturdy and versatile
- Needs a proper sealing or else will be a breeding ground for germs
- Can be difficult to maintain especially during monsoons
- More prone to scratches when compared to stone or metal
Kitchen Island With Granite Countertops
Granite countertops have a timeless aura and an authentic appeal. Kitchen island with granite countertop can take the look and feel of a kitchen to a different level of sophistication. The granite countertop can blend perfectly with your kitchen’s backsplash, cabinets, and flooring. It is sturdy, has a glossy rich finish and comes in ample colour choices. The heat-resisting power of granite makes it a perfect choice if you are thinking of installing a stove on your kitchen island. You also have options to choose from normal and leather finish granite countertops. We have also added two tall chairs on the other side of the kitchen island for you to enjoy quick meals with friends and family. You can also go for a curved kitchen island countertop if you have a spacious kitchen. They look unique and provide extra counter space in your kitchen.
- Granite is heat resistant and easy to clean
- Comparatively budget friendly
- Available in multiple colours and finishes
- Provides a smooth and functional surface
- Porous material which needs frequent resealing
- Chips and scratches are visible
- Natural colour fades over time
- DIY installation is not possible, you need professional help
Lend A Luxurious Touch With A Marble Island Kitchen Countertop
Though a bit high maintenance, marble is a gorgeous choice for a kitchen island countertop. The depth of beauty, the magnificent look, dramatic veins and swirls of marble gives your ultra-modern kitchen design a touch of richness and a majestic look. Although white marble is one of the most popular and authentic choices, you can choose coloured marble like cool blue, earthy brown or some soothing forest green to match your kitchen decor. Choose high gloss laminates in olive green for your modular kitchen cabinets, as shown in this image here for an ultra chic look. We have also added marble for the entire kitchen countertop and backsplash to maintain continuity.
Design Tip: Both Indian and Italian marble are an excellent choice provided your kitchen island doesn’t come in contact with water much. These are extremely porous so avoid installing a sink on your marble kitchen island countertop.
- Lends a stunning look
- Creates a striking contrast against bold colours
- If maintained well, they can last for a long periods of time
- It is an expensive material
- Extremely porous thus needs proper cleaning
- Dirt and scratches are easily visible on the surface
Quartz Countertops Are Trendy And Budget Friendly As Well
Quartz countertops are one of the popular and budget friendly options when it comes to kitchen island countertop ideas. Quartz is an engineered material that is both stain and heat resistant, easy to install, low maintenance, look attractive, and quite friendly on the pocket as compared to natural stones. They also come in different colours and designs. You can now add some stunning colour to your kitchen, contrasting or complementing the wall, backsplash, cabinets and kitchen slabs. And if you like playing subtle, then a white or cream quartz kitchen island countertop will add light and airy vibe to your kitchen. This island comes with three drawers in different sizes to store all your vessels and cooking essentials. The organiser on the top drawer helps organise your spoons, ladles and small jars in a clutter free manner. The design is not just aesthetically pleasing but functional too.
- Ultra durable and scratch-resistant
- Cheaper than marble and other natural materials
- Easy to clean and needs little maintenance
- Quartz are susceptible to heat
- DIY installation is not possible, you need professional help
- Might get discoloured if exposed to direct sunlight
Kitchen Island With Stainless Steel Countertops
Stainless steel countertops give a sleek, elegant and shiny look to your kitchen setup. A kitchen island with stainless steel countertop will blend with any kitchen decor seamlessly. Stainless steel kitchen island countertops with proper placement of lights will help you create a magical illusion and make your kitchen look bigger and brighter. This kitchen is designed with olive green and blush pick laminates. While the modular cabinets, chimney unit, pull out unit and tall unit adds functionality to the space, the show stopper is definitely the stainless steel island countertop. It is designed multiple storage solutions and a steel chairs. You can add decor elements to cut the coldness of steel. Suspended shelves with indoor plants on top is one of the best kitchen island countertop decor ideas for you. It lends a tropical vibe to your kitchen while freeing up your island countertop.
- Adds to the glamour quotient
- Easy to maintain
- Heat resistant and sturdy
- Prone to scratches that are irreparable
- Dents if any can be visible because of the shine
Budget-Friendly Kitchen Island Countertop
Looking for some budget friendly options? The solid surface or concrete countertop kitchen island is your best friend. Solid surface countertops are engineered material made of marble dust, plastic resins and pigments. While concrete gives a sturdy matte look, a solid surface creates a visibly seamless finish. It is also a budget-friendly kitchen island countertop option. Opt for wood finish laminates for your kitchen cabinets to create a striking contrast with your countertop and bring all the focus to your kitchen island.
- Comparatively less porous
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Easy on the pocket
- Less heat resistant
- Susceptible to scratches
So if you are looking for a quick makeover of your kitchen island but don’t want to go overboard with the budget, a solid surface countertop for your kitchen island is the perfect choice for you.
Hope this gives you an insight about the best kitchen island countertop you should choose for your home. But if you are still confused and feeling a little overwhelmed, walk-in to one of our experience centres where we have a vast range of design ideas to choose from. If you want expert advice to give your modular kitchen a functional makeover, Book a free consultation with our design experts today!
Explore, More About Different Types Of Kitchen Countertops