Want to keep COVID-19 at bay? Is just social distancing enough to fight the virus? Keep your home sanitised and clean for 100 % protection.
It has been a month since the World Health Organisation (WHO) announced that the novel CoronaVirus officially became a pandemic disrupting our daily lives. Millions of us are under quarantine.
And as we abide by the Government’s orders on maintaining social distance, it is imperative to make our homes a safe zone as well! Medical experts at National Institutes of Health prescribe frequent cleaning and sanitising as the coronavirus can live for two or three days on stainless steel surfaces and plastic.
We all know by now that sanitisers kill germs on your hands but what about surfaces in your home? Well, here are some essential tips on how you can keep your home clean and safe during COVID-19!
Target Places You Touch Often
Experts say that coronavirus can live on surfaces like cardboard for 24 hours and longer on plastic and stainless steel. So cleaning and disinfecting surfaces that are frequently touched is a step you must take. These include:
- Kitchen Counters
- Hard Dining Chairs
- Light Switches
- Tabe Surfaces
- Gas Stoves
All homes are not the same so think about the surfaces you interact with the most. First clean and then disinfect.
- Clean all surfaces to remove contaminants, dust or debris. Wipe it down thoroughly with soap water or a cleaning spray
- Apply a surface-appropriate disinfectant. The quickest way is to use a strong disinfectant spray
- Wear disposable gloves
- Make sure there is adequate ventilation in the area you are cleaning
- Use a diluted bleach solution or an alcohol-based solution with at least 70% alcohol content
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap
There are softer surfaces that need adequate attention too. For more delicate items like carpeted floors, rugs and drapes, you can do the following:
- Clean the surface using soap and water or with recommended cleaning solutions appropriate to use on these surfaces
- Launder items: Wash your drapes, bedsheets, pillow covers according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use warm water to wash these items and dry them thoroughly
- Disinfectant sprays like Purell, Clorox, Lysol are brands that make cleaning sprays all make
Bathrooms And Toilets
Your bathroom and toilets are a magnet for germs and bacterias. Clean your bathroom entirely with soapy water and prevent using sponges to wash the basin and toilet as sponges can hold bacteria. Instead, opt for a bleach spray using a microfibre cloth. After doing that, follow it up with a disinfectant spray and let it sit on the surface for a while rather than wiping it off immediately.
Technology is something we can’t stay away from! We use phones, laptops, computers, remote controls, every second of our day. These devices therefore need to be cleaned regularly in times of COVID-19. Consider using a wipeable cover for electronics. An easy way to keep them clean is to use alcohol-based wipes or sprays that contain at least 70% alcohol to disinfect touch screens.
Use The Right Cleaners
Not all cleaning agents can kill the coronavirus successfully. The Centre for Disease Control recommends using a diluted household bleach solution or an alcohol-based solution with at least 70% alcohol. You can use hydrogen peroxide, but it needs to sit on the surface for a minute or two to kill the coronavirus.
Here is a list of cleaners you can use to kill CoronaVirus
- Disinfecting wipes (Clorox, Lysol)
- Disinfectant spray (Purell, Clorox, Lysol)
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Hydrogen peroxide
If you cannot find a store-bought disinfectant, you can create one right at your home. Take four tablespoons of household bleach, one-quarter of water. Mix the two together and shake vigorously. Spray on the surface to disinfect, let it sit for 10-12 minutes and wipe away with a microfiber cloth.
Should You Disinfect Your Food?
No! According to the FDA, there is no concrete evidence to suggest that food or food packaging can transmit coronavirus and therefore there is no need to disinfect packaged food. Just observe standard food safety.
Some Helpful Tips To Fight The Coronavirus
- Use cleaning solutions one at a time and never combine any two solutions, as it may be hazardous
- Ventilate well when you are disinfecting the area as some solution and cleaners have a pungent smell such as Hydrogen Peroxide
- Please read the instructions properly before using any solution and test it on a small path before cleaning anything
- Wiping a surface with an ‘S’ shaped movement prevents re-contamination and will ensure the area is well covered
- Always wear disposable gloves and treat your trash as a toxic waste
Avoid touching the eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
Wash your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds:
- After using the restroom
- Before eating or preparing food
- After contact with pets and animals
When you come home from your grocery shopping, hang your coat and leave your shoes outside. Immediately wash your hands for 20 seconds or more with soap and water. If there isn’t water, use a hand sanitiser and rub it vigorously.
We know we are going through a difficult time right now. It is stressful and scary, but we will defeat this pandemic and come out victorious. If you have any suggestion or if we missed out anything, please mention it in the comment section below.
Stay Home, Stay Healthy, Stay Safe!