A dining table holds a special place in Indian homes as families value meal times as moments of getting together for soulful conversations. Read further to know how a foldable dining table design can help you achieve that and much more within a limited space
As more and more people in urban areas are now shifting from independent bungalows to apartments (owing to higher living costs), they want to make the most efficient and intelligent use of the limited space. The dining table is probably one of the biggest pieces of furniture in your home, so you need to ensure that you make the right purchase the very first time.
Modern foldable dining tables are an ideal fit for small spaces as they are space-efficient and provide maximum functionality without sacrificing your quality of life.
Allow us to guide you through the benefits of using a foldable dining table in your home so that you can make an informed purchase decision:
- It is compact and versatile as it can be easily paired up with your home’s existing design theme without it looking out of place. It also makes your home feel larger.
- It is customisable as it can be made in pull-down, pullout, concealed, extendable, drop-leaf and dual-purpose designs.
- It helps in easy movement around your dining area, giving you extra space to perform other activities like yoga or dance.
- It is cost-effective and definitely worth the investment. However, the affordability depends upon the design chosen, the material used, seating capacity and the budget you’ve set aside for the dining table purchase.
- It enhances the resale value for your home as potential homebuyers are always looking out for multifunctionality in the space and how it makes their living experience better.
- It also lends a stylish and luxurious vibe to the dining area and can serve as a conversation starter when your guests come by for occasional lunches or dinners.
What Are The Types of Foldable Dining Tables Available?
- Based On Material: Foldable wooden dining table, glass top foldable dining table, marble top foldable dining table, metal-base foldable dining table.
- Based On Multiutility: Foldable dining table with chairs (and foldable chairs), foldable dining table with storage, foldable dining table plus built-in cabinet, foldable dining table plus mirror, foldable dining table plus buffet console, rotatable plus foldable dining table.
- Based On Seating Capacity: Two- to three-seater foldable dining table, four- to five-seater foldable dining table, six-seater foldable dining table, extendable plus folding dining table (~flexible capacity).
- Based On Shape: Rectangular foldable dining table (~fit for corners), square foldable dining table (~fit for corners), foldable round dining table (~fit for a central area), oval foldable dining table (~fit for a central area).
What Factors Do You Need To Keep In Mind For Buying The Right Foldable Dining Table?
- The space that’s available in the area/room where it has to be kept, and the amount of space that’s left after the foldable dining table is placed and put to use (~the width of the table shouldn’t restrict the normal traffic flow).
- The seating capacity, design flexibility and the quality of the foldable dining table (~ideally, go for solid wood).
- The comfortability and convenience of the foldable dining table.
- The strength and durability of the foldable dining table (~ideally should last up to 9-10 years).
- The design aesthetics of the area/room where it has to be kept (~should easily complement the existing decor).
- The kind of multifunctionality you want from the dining table (based on your needs, preferences and lifestyle).
- The amount you plan to expend on purchasing the foldable and/or extendable dining table.
Finally, it is time to dive into our collection of some of the best foldable dining table ideas that are currently trending in the interior design space. We guarantee that you’ll fall in love with them.
Six-Seater Wooden Foldable Dining Table
This six-seater wooden foldable dining table has a traditional yet modern appeal to it. The mid-brown and light grey combination in the dining table set lends a relaxed yet cosy vibe to the dining area. However, you must note that the chairs in the dining table set may not always get entirely nested beneath the table. When the dining table is folded at a right angle with leg support, it can accommodate three people, but it can accommodate up to six people when it is entirely opened.
Two- To Four-Seater Convertible Foldable Dining Table With Storage Space For Chairs
Doesn’t this foldable dining table design look mind-blowing and irresistible? When not in use, this foldable dining table design can act as a side table against the wall. But when you open it, you can convert it to either a two-seater or a four-seater according to your needs. This design also features two drop-down flaps with a fixed middle white panel, leg support and inside storage space for four fold-away chairs.
Wall-Mounted Four-Seater Foldable Dining Table
This wall-mounted four-seater foldable dining table consists of a hinged tabletop that’s made of light brown wooden materials. When it is flipped up, it fits into a solid frame on the wall (~case on the wall), and when it is flipped down, it acts as the tabletop. It is space-saving, has a simple yet innovative design and looks cool and minimalistic. A tall closed cabinet on the side balances the overall look of the folding dining table.
Foldable Dining Table Plus A Buffet Console
This foldable dining table is multifunctional as it acts as a space-saving buffet console when it is not in use. The dining table design has two leaf drops on the wider sides that perfectly fit around the leg frame. It lends a rustic, traditional and warm vibe to a modern-looking home and easily blends in with the room’s interiors. When your family and friends are over, you simply have to lift the leaves, pull out the centre gatelegs on both sides and voila! the console seamlessly converts into a full-sized dining table.
Double Drop-Leaf Expandable And Foldable Dining Table With Two-Tier Storage Shelves
What’s better than a foldable dining table design that gives you extra storage space for the dining table accessories as well. This double drop-leaf foldable and expandable dining table has two shelves built into its central structure for storing napkins, holders, tableware and more. It’s so convenient that it can also be used in the kitchen occasionally. It comes with additional features like a set of matching chairs and the provision of wheels for easier movement.
Medium Cross-Legged Foldable Dining Table
This medium cross-legged foldable dining table has a unique charm and aesthetic appeal to it. It can be quickly folded and compactly placed in the dining room corner when it is not in use. The light wood used in the dining table lends a stylish and luxurious feel to the space and ties the dining table’s whole look together. It can comfortably accommodate four-six people.
Drop Leaf Round Foldable Dining Table
This drop-leaf round foldable dining table will instantly ooze a country-side and airy feel into your dining area. It is made out of solid wood and has a beautiful design. The tabletop of this round foldable dining table has two drop leaves on opposite sides that can comfortably accommodate two people when it’s collapsed and four people when fully extended. This dining table can also be moved to any other corner of the house to serve multiple purposes (~work desk, side table, etc.) when it is not being used.
We hope that your long search for foldable dining table designs ends here with our blog post, as foldable dining tables are indeed a game-charger for small and large homes/apartments alike. Reach out to our interior design experts at Design Cafe if you’re looking for some guidance in this aspect. We’d be more than happy to help.
Also, let us know in the comments below if you fancy any of the foldable dining table designs that we listed above. We’re looking forward to hearing from you soon!
If you enjoyed reading about foldable dining table design ideas, also have a look at dining room lighting ideas.