Give your dining room a completely new look and personality by experimenting with some awesome dining table colors. We’re sure that you’ll get inspired for this project once you have a look at our latest collection
Choosing the perfect dining table for your home can be quite an expensive and overwhelming task, especially when there are endless options available and you have no idea of what factors to consider before purchasing the ‘best’ colorful dining table. Worry not! We’re here to help you out with a succinct dining table buying guide that you can keep handy for your quest.
Shape Of The Dining Table
- Oval: It allows you to accommodate last-minute guests easily because of the lack of sharp corners. It also helps the energies flow much more gently than the typical rectangular table with its pedestal table legs and is an ideal choice for parties and gatherings (read: there’s no head of the table here)
- Square: It offers a sense of right proportions and looks great when used in narrow and long rooms. However, it is the least preferred option because it fails to accommodate more than four people and can also result in their legs crashing into one another due to a lack of space
- Rectangle: Its well-defined straight lines result in a visually clean look and allow enough space to accommodate six or more people. It is the most practical and preferred option among homeowners
- Round: It is the most-favored choice for small dining rooms as it creates a warm and intimate setting (read: there’s no head of the table here as well)
Material Of The Dining Table
- Wood veneer: It is a relatively cheap alternative to solid wood but mimics the real look quite well. There are many colors and styles available, so you’ll be spoilt for choice. In order to identify good quality veneer, just look underneath the table for clearly labelled core interiors and cross-check with the salesman as well
- Solid wood: It is the most expensive and popular among the materials for dining tables. It gives a classic and sophisticated look to the dining room and is easily repairable in the event of any scratches, cracks and natural wear and tear
- Glass: If you’re looking for elegance and a feeling of openness in the dining room, opt for glass dining tables. They’re relatively inexpensive and extremely durable if they are properly taken care of. You can go in for frosted glass, clear glass or even colored glass dining tabletop to break the monotony and infuse some visual depth
- Marble: It is a natural stone which is quite heavy, so shifting around a dining table with a marble tabletop can be quite a strenuous task. It can last long if properly cleaned after every meal. They come in the expensive category of tabletop materials, just like solid wood
Other Design-Related Factors
- Sturdiness/Stability of the table: The next factor to consider in a dining table is its stability. The material strength should be such that the table doesn’t shake when a considerable weight is applied on the top. It is important to consider the strength of the dining table’s leg support as well. There are three kinds of base supports available: straight legs, pedestal stand and a trestle. Choose the one that suits your needs and preferences. Just keep in mind that the table support you choose shouldn’t reduce the available leg space
- Size of the table: Consider your audience and also measure the space around the room to determine the size of your dining table. It should be such that you get ample area to easily move around and your legs don’t hit the table while sitting down or getting up
- Seating, lighting and decor around the table: Make sure your lighting and seating choices pair well with the look of your dining table and tie the overall theme/decor of the dining room together. They shouldn’t look odd
Colorful dining table
It is important to consider the dining room table colors. Changing the color of the dining table can add charm and bring some life into your dining room. It is advisable to use basic colors like yellow, brown or white on the dining table instead of trendy bright ones as they merge in with room decor easily and last longer. However, you should remain open to experimenting with other colors as per your choice! For starters, check out some nice dining room paint colors for your home.
How To Change Dining Table Color
Yes, it’s completely possible and can be taken up as a DIY project — but for only wooden dining table sets. Here are some steps that you can follow for a dining table makeover:
- Find a place outside your home, ideally a garage, where you don’t have to worry about paint drips creating a mess and dust ruining your painting efforts
- Remove all the chair seats and upholstery (if any) before starting the paint process
- Place a drop cloth underneath your dining table set (dining table and chairs), so that you can paint it all the way to the floor
- Wipe your dining table set with good quality sandpaper and then prime it so that the paint can adhere to the surface. Do it on the underside of the table and chairs as well. Let it dry for the next 24 hours
- Choose your favorite color(s) and a foam/paintbrush for the job. Some homeowners prefer painting their entire dining table set in one color while others keep the colors for the ding table and chairs separate to create some contrast. Apply several coats of paint if you feel the need and give it sufficient time to dry (a minimum of 24 hours at least)
- If you wish, you can also use a clear water-based polyurethane to protect the surface if you’ve opted for a matte finish. Use satin polyurethane in case you used satin paint
- Reattach the upholstery and seats to the dried chairs using the same bolts and screws, and keep the furniture out of use for another day just to be safe
Here are some mesmerizing ideas on how to change dining table color for you to experiment with.
Black Is A Bold & Beautiful Choice For A Colorful Dining Table
This black round wooden table with matching chairs looks bold and sophisticated. The wooden floor acts as a contrast and the overall look of the dining table is accentuated by the chandelier above and the patterned rug below.
Bring Nature Indoors With Emerald Green
This emerald green dining table with light wooden chairs mimics nature and also matches with the interiors of the kitchen-cum-dining space. The large windows let the morning sunshine in and make the area look visually bigger.
Elegance Personified Through Red Oak
Red oak is the most popular choice for Asian-themed homes and the best color for the dining tables. The dining table here looks absolutely beautiful with subtle colors surrounding it in the form of wall paints and the decor.
Taupe For A Colorful Dining Table Oozes Pleasant Vibes
Taupe is a shade that resembles greyish-brown in many ways. This shade oozes modern and pleasant feels into this open-plan living-cum-dining area and makes either one look like the extension of the other. The pair of droplet mirrors also add an element of style.
The Classic & Versatile White & Grey
This white and grey dining room table with different color chairs (two in this case) looks versatile and lends opulence to the dining space. The mustard color chair adds contrast to the dining table set and the industrial lights above also add some level of richness.
The Formal & Sophisticated Silver & Black
This colorful dining table looks an absolute masterpiece with its formal color choices, that is, black and silver. The trestle base support gives it the much-required sturdiness while the light wooden chair legs make it look sleek.
The Raw & Rustic White Oak
This light color wooden dining table adds a rustic contrast to the off-white modern home interiors. The white oak color looks simple yet pretty and also complements the decor of the room.
Hope this blog post has given you enough information on how to go about creatively playing with your dining table color. So, go ahead and fill your dining room with some liveliness and collect happy memories!