A fireplace can serve both decorative and functional purposes in your home. Scroll through for our fireplace ideas.
A fireplace is considered to be a beautiful addition to any home whether it is for the sake of nostalgia or as a source of warmth and comfort. The fireplace provides a warming central point around which friends and family can gather, relax and enjoy the atmospheric flickering of the flames. It is also a worthwhile investment since it increases the resale value of your home.
Types of Fireplace Designs
With so many fireplace designs to choose from, finding the right fireplace can be a bit of a challenge. To spare you the hassle, we’ve listed down the different types of fireplace designs that are most commonly found in homes:
- Material: Marble fireplace, exposed brick fireplace, natural stone fireplace, concrete fireplace
- Mechanism: Traditional chimney fireplace, ventless fireplace, open hearth fireplace, freestanding fireplace, built-in insert fireplace, flameless fireplace
- Fuel Type:
- Wood-Burning Fireplace: Open-hearth fireplace, wood-burning stove, see-through or double-sided fireplace, single-sided fireplace
- Electric Fireplace: Flameless fireplace, TV stand or mantel electric fireplace, wall-mount fireplace
- Gas Fireplace: Direct-vent fireplace, see-through gas fireplace, B-vent fireplace, vent-free fireplace
- Ethanol Fireplace
Factors To Consider While Choosing The Perfect Fireplace Design
- Location: Living room, family room, outdoors, balcony, kitchen and wall corner are some of the places where fireplaces can be installed which will further determine which fuel type will be used.
- Other Heating Sources: If you don’t have central heating then place your fireplace in an open-plan layout at the centre between your dining room and living room. If you do have the central heating system installed then look out for a venting location. If you live in a warmer climate then go for electric and gas fireplaces and if you live in a colder climate then go in for wood-burning fireplaces.
- Budget: Finalise the budget right at the start so that it makes the process of choosing a fireplace less stressful and easier. The installation of a brand new fireplace will cost more than the renovation of an existing fireplace. Electric fireplaces and gas fireplaces are budget-friendly options as compared to wood-burning fireplaces.
- Size and Dimensions: Check the size of the fireplace design and fireplace chimney design in relation to the size, layout and overall interior decor of the room in which it is to be installed.
- Fireplace Mantels: It is important that every fireplace is accompanied by a fireplace mantel but it is completely your choice. The fireplace mantel helps keep the surroundings safe, tidy and clean when you’re lighting a fire during the winter season. It is made from different materials like cast iron, marble and wood.
- Look and Vibe You Want To Create: If you want a traditional look then go for a wood-burning fireplace, and if you prefer a modern vibe then go for an electric fireplace.
- Preexisting Health Conditions of the Incumbents: If you live with someone who has respiratory issues then choose gas or electric fireplaces rather than wood-burning fireplaces.
It is now time to dive into the most popular fireplace design ideas that are doing the rounds among modern homeowners. Hope you’ll get inspired to take the next steps.
Balcony Fireplace Design
This balcony fireplace design is ideal for those who have sufficient outdoor space in their apartment or bungalow. It changes the entire feel of your home’s exteriors and looks elegant and welcoming. The big round-top table and the brightly-coloured bean bags provide just the right setting for evening chill-out sessions with family or guests. This modern fireplace design uses an electric heater that looks like a wood-burning fireplace without real fire.
Brick Fireplace Design
This brick fireplace idea is a go-to option for people who want to give their modern living room a rustic and earthy touch. The fireplace material completely blends in with the decor, furniture and the colour theme of the space. The wooden fireplace mantel and the showcases on either side of the fireplace design help you to seamlessly showcase your extraordinary pieces of artwork, souvenirs, books and storied collections.
Corner Fireplace Design For The Living Room
Doesn’t this corner fireplace idea look luxurious and mesmerising? This fireplace design is a ‘smart solution’ as it helps you maximise the space by leaving the longer walls open for more furniture placement and also take advantage of underused corners. The mantelpiece over a corner fireplace will also be bigger which again lets you neatly display your decor. Add elegant accent lighting over this fireplace design and install bigger windows to accentuate its overall look.
Kitchen Fireplace Design
If your house is big and is structured in an open-plan layout especially for the social spaces (living room/dining room/kitchen) then this kitchen fireplace will definitely fit your bill. It acts as a natural extension to the kitchen and complements the wooden flooring too. Insert golden and grey accents in the area to give it a more sophisticated and stylish vibe such as the wall clock, the bar stools and the kitchen island/cabinets.
Stone Fireplace Design For The Living Room
Stone is a very popular fireplace building material since it adds a classic and authentic touch. This stone fireplace wall idea emits an antique vibe and has a comfortable seating area on either side. Peeking out through the fireplace wall is a large circular mirror of the same colour family which acts as an interesting focal point for the room. Stone fireplaces often retain heat so it is more durable and functional than other materials.
Wood Fireplace Design For The Dining Room
This freestanding wood-burning fireplace design for the dining room has a very traditional appeal to it. Many homeowners prefer its warmth and the soothing crackling sounds of the wood logs. However, fire safety is a must with this kind of fireplace design so keep the area around it clear of any flammable materials. A wood-burning fireplace also requires regular cleaning to maintain its efficiency.
All of these fireplace design ideas have been thoughtfully curated by the DesignCafe team. The fireplace designs will move you to snuggle up around their warmth and aesthetics. So, what are you waiting for? Get inspired and start experimenting. Reach out to us if you want us to answer any of your design queries.