Use the powerful tools of home decor to tell the story of who you are and what you love through your home, with these practical but creative decor ideas.
Home decor, a subset of interior design, can be defined as the art and science of decorating your space to make it functional and appealing by playing around with various design elements. For creative home decor you can mix around furniture style, colours, placement of accessories, flooring designs, curtains and drapes, wall paintings to bring it all together in one cohesive look. Home decor changes your home interiors to enhance comfort and style as well as gets rid of stress, anxiety and arouses positive vibes.
The end-goal of home decor is so much more than just a visual makeover of a room. Infact, the multi-faceted interplay of the various elements (time, space, reasoning, memory, expectation and emotion) creates the ultimate experience or feel of the room. Interior decorating is akin to giving new life to your home, but you need to exercise extreme care and close focus during the process of redecorating.
If you are overwhelmed on how to get started on your home decor project don’t be! Whether you live in an old house or an entirely new one, we have a quick guide for you.
- Planning the theme and vision of the room – Envision the style and concept of your room’s to reflect your sensibilities and personal taste. Do you want it to look traditional, modern or eclectic? Then carefully formulate a proper decorating plan so that it saves on your time and money in the long run.
- Lighting, color, textures and patterns – Adding lighting (natural and/or artificial) and colours play an important role in impacting the overall ambiance and mood of the room. Ensure that they are intelligently-integrated to create the illusion of space and size. Apart from colours, you can also use patterns and textures to give a unique touch to the landscape as it adds visual drama and character.
- Layout of the space – Since people spend a considerable amount of time in their homes, it becomes necessary to think twice about the room’s layout so that it can be as functional and cozy. Maximise on available space smartly. Creatively combine function and form in a healthy balance to create the ideal living space.
- Furniture and home accessories – Consider the size and dimensions of your space when choosing and finalising on furniture and associated home accessories.
While home decor is comparatively easier for an existing home, it is much more challenging when it comes to shifting to a new home, but let’s make your work easier here by giving you a few useful tips:
- Replace old furniture with modular furniture that is multi-functional, lighter in weight, well-constructed and made up of better quality material. Even better, if the furniture can be such that it can be broken down and flat packed, making it easier for your next move (if at all).
- Leave behind some of the stuff from your old home and clear out the clutter. It will make you feel better about your current space and will make your next shift easier.
- Setup your new home just like a model home where everything has its own space and the right touch of colors and accessories. Freshen up your space every five-six months when you feel that stagnation or depression has set in, and it will work wonders for the room’s energy and your energy too.
- Infuse colors in the form of affordable home accessories – big or small, classic or trendy – and also invest in bold accent walls/wall pieces to give an instant pop to the space.
Moving on now, let’s derive some inspiration from these creative home decor ideas and create a haven you will want to eagerly come back to everyday.
A Bird Lover’s Paradise
If you are an art lover, you can definitely choose this look for your living room. The 3D cityscape-inspired art fixture turns the wall into a story-telling canvas. An area rug, a large L-shaped sectional sofa, some hanging lights and a low-height coffee table is all you need to bind the whole look together and get those fun conversations started.
A Blast Of Colours
A splash of colours can do wonders to your family room. The easiest way to do it is to replace your older throw pillows with brighter, fuller and patterned ones to instantly glam up the space. You can blend it with white furniture, some green plants and abstract pictures on a blue-hued wall so that your decor distinctly stands out and instantly makes a statement.
A Peak Into Your Life
Make your stairway more personal by having a dedicated and well-composed gallery wall with mix-and match picture frames that gives your visitors a quick glimpse into your life. It adds a lot of thoughtfulness and elegance while at the same time, it brings in a cohesive, coordinated yet minimalistic look to modern living rooms.
A Warm And Cozy Reading Nook
This look is a complete win-win for avid book readers. This reading corner with the elegant glass floor lamp, a hanging armchair, a plush throw pillow, some sleek shelves, nested tables and natural light falling in from the window creates a warm and soothing vibe. So read your favourite book or simply chill for hours together and it will definitely mentally transport you to paradise on earth. Keep calm and beat those Monday blues.
Bring Nature Within
Bring the outside nature within your homes by adding a few unique natural elements to the landscape. Combine your classy and contemporary furniture with some creatively designed pendant lights, a glass divider to smartly demarcate spaces in your home. Bring in those bamboo plants to add texture, colour and life to the room and of course good fortune and future growth in all areas of life. Large-sized windows allow most of the natural light to fall in making the dining room look bigger and more airy.