Frequently Asked Questions on Balcony Designs
How to design a balcony?
A balcony is like a small haven of nature in the middle of your house. It is a private outdoor space with plenty of potential to design it in a manner that suits your lifestyle and persona. So do you do this? Well, to guide you, here are some steps you can follow to create an ideal balcony space.
- Declutter your balcony and make room for everyone to move around freely.
- Bring in plants that are easy to maintain.
- If you have the space, add vegetable and flower plants to your balcony.
- Install space-saving seating arrangements such as folding patio chairs, seating with storage below etc .
- Add a turf grass flooring or tiles as per your home’s interior style.
- Use the wall space to hang planters and wall-mounted racks/shelves.
- Add proper lighting for evening hangouts in your balcony.
- Set up a safety grill around your balcony to prevent accidents and to keep your home secure.
How to design a balcony garden?
No matter how small your balcony space is there are multiple ways to set up a balcony garden. Here are some smart DIY hacks to design your balcony garden at home.
- Use the balcony railing to hang plants in baskets.
- Go for vertical wall planters to stack some of your favourite flower pots.
- Use terracotta planters and arrange them along the boundary of your balcony.
- Bring in DIY planter boxes of wood/terracotta to create your small herb garden.
- Hang metal buckets with flowers in your balcony garden.
- You can also hang your flower pots from the balcony ceiling.
- Install wooden crates to grow tomatoes, chillies, herbs, etc.
Explore more about: Balcony Garden Ideas
How to design a small balcony?
Small balconies are tricky to design because they are narrow and leaving less space to play around with ideas. However, if planned properly, you can create a comfortable space in your small balcony. As the first step, try to free all the mess in your balcony. Next, use the walls and railings to add green potted plants. Go for hanging baskets, wall-mounted shelves, and the like to make the most of your balcony’s vertical space. The third step is to add space-saving, modular furniture pieces. To use the narrow space wisely opt for railing mounted tables, lightweight folding patio chairs, seating bench with storage and more. Add striped patterned floor mats and light colour schemes to make your space look bigger. The trick is to go for sorted designs like small plants, light furniture so your small balcony does not look cramped.
What are some suggestions for balcony furniture?
As most balconies have limited space you must choose your pieces of furniture wisely. Here are some suggestions for the same:
- Lightweight foldable chairs and table.
- Wicker swings.
- Wall-mounted tables and armless chairs.
- Light bamboo chairs and coffee table.
- Seating bench with storage to save space.
- Metal patio chairs and table.
- Wall mounted bookshelf with an attached bench for seating.
- Low-lying armless wooden sofa and coffee table.
- Single armless lounge chairs or ottomans.
- Rustic wooden sofa chairs.
What is the latest glass railing design for a balcony?
Some of the latest glass railing designs for a balcony are:
- Frosted glass railing with aluminum frames.
- Frameless glass railings.
- Frosted glass railings with stainless a steel frame.
What are some ideas to convert a normal balcony to a balcony garden?
A balcony garden helps you add a splash of lush green into your home. Here are smart ideas to transform your normal balcony into a garden.
- A vertical garden on your balcony wall.
- Add some DIY hanging planters to your balcony and plant some flowering plants on them.
- Place some potted plants on your balcony for a soothing vibe.
- Some balcony climbers and vines on the balcony railing that will save floor space while adding greenery to your garden.
- Install baskets or crates to grow herbs, organic vegetables or succulents.
- Place some terrarium on the side table or bar counter.
What are some ideas to make a small balcony cosy?
Most of us live in apartments with small balconies but that shouldn’t stop you from turning it into your favourite cosy space. So here are a few tips for making your small balcony a cosy one:
- A hammock or a rattan hanging chair.
- Some floor cushions and pouffes.
- A low lying coffee table with hidden storage underneath.
- A foldable bar counter with tall chairs.
- Some DIY hanging planters with flowers.
- A wall-mounted bookshelf and outdoor seater with hidden storage for your book and other essentials.
- A vertical garden to bring in the look and feel of a natural garden without taking up floor space.
Which colour is best for a balcony?
The balcony is one of the most preferred areas of our home. It is the place where you love enjoying your morning cup of coffee as your watch the sunrise and set, take small breaks in between work or unwind with a glass of wine after a hard day of work. Colours play an essential role in elevating the look of your balcony. Here are a few options that work best for a balcony.
- If you want to make your balcony look bright and vibrant, opt for a dark yellow. This colour will lift your mood and create a striking contrast against your green potted plants.
- Looking for some subtle colours that will create a soothing vibe? Opt for some simple off white or beige colour scheme for your balcony. They are lighter to the eye and make your balcony look spacious.
- A blush pink or teal is for you if a chic and elegant style attracts you. These colours lend a soothing yet subtle fun element to your balcony.
- If you want to lend an industrial look to your balcony choose some bold colours like grey and pair it up with a brick cladding accent wall. Be mindful of accessorising your balcony with proper lighting options to set the right tone for your evening parties.
However, be mindful of choosing a good quality paint for the exteriors of your balcony, one that is waterproof and heat resistant.
What are the different types of balconies?
Some of the most common types of balconies are:
Hung Balcony: A balcony structure, usually made of steel that is fixed on the edges of the balcony.
Stacked Balcony: A separate structure to the building supported with vertical posts or pillars.
Cantilever Balcony: This balcony structure protrudes from the face of the building without any visible support.
How to decorate a balcony?
Few DIY tips to decorate a balcony:
- Add turf grass to the floor and some white pebbles on the corners to beautify the space.
- A hammock or swing to enjoy some me-time in your balcony.
- A foldable coffee table that is space-saving and functional.
- A textured wallpaper or a vertical garden on the accent wall to accentuate the beauty of the space.
- A wall-mounted bar unit with seating arrangement to host some cosy house parties.
- Some pendant lights or floor lamps to illuminate the space in the evening.
- A rattan sofa unit and a low lying coffee table with storage.
- A floor rug and some pillows to lend a comforting vibe.
- Some potted plants for a splash of green into your balcony.
- Blinders or roll-up curtains to protect you from harsh sunlight on a hot summer day.